Nearly 44,000 hate crimes took place in England and Wales in 2011-12.
• 35,816 (82%) were race hate crimes
• 1,621 (4%) were religion hate crimes
• 4,252 (10%) were sexual orientation hate crimes
• 1,744 (4%) were disability hate crimes
• 315 (1%) were transgender hate crimes
The data shows that the majority of all hate crimes (83%) involved violence - and the worst proportion for that was race hate crimes - 85% were violent offences. The next most common was criminal damage - but theft, burglary and sexual offences were involved too.
Take a look at the breakdown of the data:
• Interactive map
• Download the data
• Data journalism and data visualisations from the Guardian
I hope the gutter press tabloids are proud of themselves.
(via philosophy-of-praxis)@6 months ago with 20 notes
#discrimination #hate crime